Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Holding My Breath


This post has nothing to do with furniture or crafts or of any of the other things that I do....as probably all of us do, we go to the doctors. Usually it's for the kids (routine or emergency), or an elder relative or even the animals to the vet, but if you are like me, our visits to the doctor for 'routine' checkups are last on the list.

 So I went for my 'routine' annual (yeah, right!) checkup recently. The week prior to the checkup, I had my blood drawn (Serious ouch!! You should have seen the bruise!) so that they could run the 'routine' tests. Then, here I am, sitting half naked, holding my breath as my doctor looks over my results. I'd say for the most part, I am in pretty good health, and I am an optimist,  but I am over 40 and that's when 'things' start to fall apart (you know what I'm talking about). So even though I'm waiting in silence as she reads over the chart for a very short time, to me it feels like forever. And in those seconds/minutes my mind goes to the 'what-if's' of life. What if something is seriously wrong? What if my counts are off? What if I need further tests? My husband? My kids? My family? My way of living? (and the doctor wonders why my blood pressure goes up in the office???) And then, after what feels like an eternity, she says, 'Everything looks great!' and basically 'I'll see you next year, keep doing what you're doing, it's working for you!' All the anxiety drains away...at least for one more year!

I hope that your health is good, and that you do everything within your power to stay healthy and happy. Life is meant to be enjoyed! Go out and do it!

~Kris

1 comment:

  1. Kris,
    Yay glad all is well.I hate those visits.I have one coming up soon too.I hate when they ask you if you are under stress.I had a Doctor ask me that one time.So I said no not really and then he said everyone has stress.So I am thinking to myself why did you ask me then!?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line, I'd love to hear what you have to say!