Monday, September 16, 2013

Grey Armoire and Telephone Table

Project of the Week-Vintage Armoire
(disclaimer-the quality of the pictures vary as the rain made me keep me doors closed)
 Before-good bones, all its original casters and the rod for the closet side. One door was off already, and I decided not to put it back on, I really liked the accessibility of the draws.

 First time using the Maison Blanc Chalk Paint, I really liked it. It went on smooth and evenly.
This piece required two coats, a light sanding and a coat of wax to seal it.
 I used the Fransican Grey, beautiful color! I was going to leave the draws wood, but I really was looking for a lighter more Scandinavian look to this so....



I painted the draws white. What a difference that made! It really lightened up the whole piece.
 
I added two hooks inside, and reused the overhead hanger bar on the door. I envision this piece used in an entryway. It has plenty of draws to hold cell phones, gloves, dog leases, etc.

Another grey piece that I recently finished is this telephone table.
This is how I found it. Sad. I added a new plywood seat and painted it in
Annie Sloan Grey Chalkpaint.
I added new foam and batting to the seat, which I then covered in a vintage white fabric and left the top a light wood color.
Well it didn't sell, no takers! I think the white fabric 'scared' potential buyers. So I took it back to the work shop and stripped the top, restained it a dark chestnut and recovered the seat with an antique grain sack. It looks so much better, and it sold the day I finished it!
I'm still loving the color grey, how about you? Do you think it's on the way out? I love how it acts as a neutral in most settings.
Enjoy!
~Kris

1 comment:

Drop me a line, I'd love to hear what you have to say!